Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Serendipity, ducks and dumplings


I often seem to discover things by chance, which is perhaps even more exciting than finding something that you have been searching for.

Today I found a song. I recently watched Juno on DVD and fell in love with the soundtrack, particularly the quirky, folksy ditties of Kimya Dawson. I've been listening to it constantly on my iPod for about two weeks.

Curious about the rest of her work, I looked her up on MySpace and ba-bing! She sings a song about being a speck of dust inside a giant's eye, which I'd heard on the radio ages ago but missed the title and artist. Attempts to track it down via Google were also fruitless.

But now I know! And I found out totally by accident! It's called I like Giants. It's simple but profound.





Ducks and dumplings

I saw a pair of ducks on the river this morning, swimming single file and bobbing their heads as if they were dancing to music I couldn't hear.

Tonight I'm having dumplings with a friend I haven't seen in ages.

Have you recently discovered something wonderful by chance? Is stumbling across something unexpected more exciting than finding what you were looking for? What's on high rotation on your MP3/CD player?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love stuff like that! i had a great moment earlier this year when i heard 'Learning to Love' on tripple j. I'd been loving the song for weeks and finally heard it back announced as Ween, who I had spontaneously agreed to go and see a couple of weeks later despite not knowing much of their stuff!
And it was an absolutely awesome gig.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jayney: What a lovely, quirky song. And ducks bobbing their head as if they're listening to their own music is just great! A friend of mine recently recorded for me a whole bunch of songs from the 80's and 90's that I love. Songs are just one of those things that have the ability to instantly transport you to the past.