Sunday, October 5, 2008

Discovering new music...and my favourite tree


I had a boyfriend once who used to buy a CD and then only listen to the songs he already knew and liked (this was before iPods). I could never understand it, not because it's a waste of money, but because it's a wasted opportunity to have one of those moments that give you goosebumps.

Every time I hear a song I love, I think, "Wow, this is great - I have to hear their other stuff". Quite often I discover something wonderful. For example, years ago I saw Aussie folk/roots trio The Waifs perform Lighthouse at the ARIA Awards on TV and it was the beginning of a love affair. I bought the CD and then all their other CDs and listened to every single song. If I'd just listened to Lighthouse and London Still (their big radio hit) over and over, I never would have discovered all the other songs I love just as much. I've also seen them in two awesome live shows. They are one of my favourite bands. I still get goosebumps when I hear Lighthouse, too.





On the band Wagons

And this weekend I had another goosebumpy moment. Yesterday I spent most of the day sitting in the sun listening to free live music in the Alexandra Gardens. Many of the acts were unknown or little known to me, but I thought I'd check them out and I'm so glad I did. I absolutely loved Melbourne band Wagons, described by Rolling Stone as "powerful gothic country". Lead singer Henry Wagons has a fantastic deep voice reminiscent of Johnny Cash. If you love a bit of country like I do, check 'em out. I've got both their albums on my iPod now and can't wait to see them live again.

I also really liked Kristy London, The Verses, Rosie Burgess, Custom Kings. The Audreys, who I've seen live twice before, were great too.

The day ended with a fantastic fireworks display on the river, set against the beautiful backdrop of the city skyline, the Sky Wheel and a series of illuminated, inflatable sculptures (above).


Leafy

I was pleased today to see my favourite tree - a Golden Elm with a massive canopy that glows green when you stand under it on a sunny day - is starting to get its leaves back.


2 comments:

Lance said...

I find music to be very powerful in my life. Certain songs really speak to me. And, I too, like to discover all the other stuff when I find a new artist I really like. And now, you've given me a few new artists to check out...should keep me busy for a while!

Jayne said...

Yes, music is extremely powerful in its ability to evoke emotions and memories. You don't come across many people who say they dont like music, but I have once or twice and I just can't fathom it.