Saturday, February 28, 2009
Friday, February 27, 2009
Pretty sunset tonight. I saw the clouds go from white to pink as I walked home. I don't know about you, but I never get sick of the view from the bridge over the Yarra River near where I live (aka "my bridge").
Gee, I like the song On The Radio by Regina Spektor, specifically this bit -
Here's a live version.
Yay! Friday! How's your week been?
Thursday, February 26, 2009
(I was too bashful to take a photo of him so you can have another picture of yesterday's precipitation instead.)
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
Saturday, February 21, 2009
His grandma gave him a push-car for his birthday and he was so excited when he saw it. Glee personified. He pushed himself around on the deck and shook his head vehemently when asked if he wanted to go inside for cake. He tried to hold the door of his car shut when his dad came to get him out. It was adorable.
His speech has come a long way in the six or so weeks since I saw him. He's now talking in basic sentences, including "Mummy, I not happy" and "I hungry mummy. Toast".
I'm really enjoying seeing him grow and develop. I don't spend a lot of time around kids and the couple I do see semi-regularly annoy me, but Nathan is a gorgeous kid and I love the little tacker heaps (in a quasi-aunt way, not in tick-tick-tick way).
The small victories of a techno twit
I've been in a state of techno-overload the past few months. Apart from my camera (which I'm still learning to use), I have bought a new digital set top box, DVD player and mobile phone (which also has a snazzy 5 megapixel camera in it, so it's like two doses of techno overload in one toy).
It's nice having new toys but I don't enjoy the process of trying to come to grips with new technology or not knowing how to do stuff on the new toys I could do on the old ones without thinking. I already feel like I'm so far behind the technological vanguard it's pointless trying to catch up. I just bumble my way through (since I can't delegate it to the man in my life like I used to in the past).
But even so, I do get a buzz when I manage to make things work, like when I plugged in my DVD player and set top box all on my own and they actually worked! And tonight I have (admittedly only with the help of a friend) managed to download some photos from my phone to my laptop. None of it was tricky in hindsight, but I'm pleased with myself nonetheless. Go, me!
Wednesday, February 18, 2009
Sunday, February 15, 2009
Saturday, February 14, 2009
Other things I've done -
* I bought some indoor plants and they're still alive.
* I bought a set top box (Yay! ABC 2!) and a new DVD player, and made arrangements for the old DVD player to be collected for recycling.
* I retrieved an important file from my ancient PC - or, more accurately, the very helpful computer guru Julian retrieved the file for me. The old PC is also being collected for recycling.
* I've been flossing every second day.
* I've started my allergy elimination diet. I'm only five days in and have a ways to go yet. Completing the diet is one of my major - but less fun - goals.
* I've done a new will.
* I've registered to be an organ donor.
* I've visited the Skydeck at Eureka Tower and the Melbourne Aquarium and done a lap on the tourist shuttle.
* I attempted to go a week without dropping the F bomb but I'm not sure I achieved it. I was nearly there and was absentmindedly singing along to Inside Outside by The Grates which goes, "Every motherf*cker thinks they're born to dance...". Dagnammit! Does that count?
* I've gone for nearly a month without shopping at either Coles or Woolworths. (These are Australia's two dominant supermarket chains and it takes some effort - and sometimes extra expense - to do your grocery shopping elsewhere. But I'm willing to put up with the inconvenience to avoid giving my money to companies with questionable business practices).
* In a similar vein, I've got a copy of the Ethical Consumer Guide (just have to read it now).
* I've read six of the 40 books I plan to read this year.
* I started my photoblog.
...and some other stuff I can't think of at the moment.
Friday, February 13, 2009
The flatmate saga
Monday, February 9, 2009
This is my 100th post, but I'm not feeling in a celebratory mood. As many of you know, Victoria, the state of Australia I live in, has been and continues to be ravaged by bushfires. A staggering 131 people have died and there is no doubt the toll will rise.
Saturday, February 7, 2009
I found glee today. Literally. In the Target puzzle. If you want to find the nine-letter word yourself, avert your gaze now! The rest of you, scroll down.
I think I'm going to give them names now. Thinking..... What do you think are good names for giraffes?
PS. No, the record breaking heat (46.6C/115.5F) hasn't addled my brain. It's usually addled.
Wednesday, February 4, 2009
* Having exactly the right amount of change in my wallet to pay for something
* Popping press studs
* Re-stapling a document in exactly the same spot as it was originally stapled
* Stamping things at work with my red 'URGENT' stamp (faxes usually, not walls or people)
* When my iPod and mobile phone are both fully charged at the same time
What silly little things do you like?
PS Sorry I have been slow in replying to your comments lately. It doesn't happen overnight, but it does happen!
Sunday, February 1, 2009
Aw, shucks. Thanks, FF! I'm chuffed.
Now, I am meant to bestow the award on 10 other blogs, but I think I might struggle to come up with that many since I would feel a bit of a goose awarding it to some of the hugely popular blogs by professional or high profile bloggers I mostly read. When you already have squillions of fans/subscribers (like Zen Habits by Leo Babuata or Go Fug Yourself) you probably don't need a nobody from a place you've likely never heard of telling you your blog rocks, do you?
Anyway, I would like to award my friend Victoria/A Work in Progress for her daily photo blog M(o)mento, in which she regularly makes the ordinary look interesting and beautiful. I'm a bit jealous!
I also give it to Small Footprints, for Reduce Footprints, a blog about simple ways we can all minimise our impact on the environment. It's informative and positive and completely non-preachy.
Yeesh...four blogs. Clearly I need to get out into the blogosphere more...