Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Inflated


Has anyone else seen high profile Aussie comic Adam Hills' show Inflatable? I saw it on Sunday night - it was his Comedy Festival finale - and boy, am I glad I didn't miss out (thanks, Julian!). It was sensational. Definitely the best of the six shows I saw in this year's festival.

It often takes quite a lot to get me laughing my head off - I can find something very funny without necessarily wetting my pants over it - but it was impossible not to guffaw at Adam Hills (and his sign language intepreter. I now know how to sign dickhead and "F**k you! And f**k the lot of you!".)

I also think it's pretty impossible not to like the guy (unless you are a bitter and twisted misanthrope). He's just so affable and he's got such a positive energy about him - he literally bounced around on the stage at times and you can tell that he absolutely loves what he does - and the crowd loves him back. There was a lotta love in the Princess Theatre on Sunday night and he didn't want to leave the stage. He came back on stage to a standing ovation and said, "Ah bugger it! Let's just order pizza and hang out!". Yeah, OK!

It's probably no surprise I like him given he once had a show called Joymonger, which I only realised after starting this blog.

Not only was the show hilarious, it was also uplifting - Hill's message is that there are two kinds of people in life - those who "inflate" others and those who deflate them, and you can choose which type you are. Indeed.


Dream job

Can you imagine how exhiliarating it must be to be able to send an auditorium full of people of all ages into fits of laughter? I get a buzz from making a couple of friends crack up...imagine that feeling multiplied a hundred times or more?

And what an absolute joy being able to make a living from doing something that you love and that brings so much pleasure to other people. I suppose it's tempered to some extent by being away from home and family so much, and the downside of celebrity (like people expecting you to be funny 24/7) but still...

PS. Hills is heading off on a tour of other capital cities. Click the link to his myspace page in the first line for dates. Do yerself a favour!

5 comments:

Fantastic Forrest said...

Sounds like a real hoot. Have you ever seen Dara O'Briain? Check him out on youtube. He never fails to crack me up.

Julian said...

You're welcome. ;) It was fantastic. He's really energetic, enthusiastic, and just plain nice into the bargain. I liked the extra interactions he had with the sign language interpreter too (usually getting her to repeat the dirtier stuff). Also, I'm still giggling about (and sharing) the joke he did about an inflatable school. :)

Jayne said...

He.Is.Brilliant.
Love watching him on Spicks and Specks every week and anything else he appears in.

Jayne said...

Hey FF. I have heard of him but not sure if I've seen any of his work. Will definitely go check him out.

Hi Julian. Has anyone told you the inflatable joke is a 'dad joke'?

Hello Jayne. Yep, I'm a regular Spicks n Specktator too.

Fantastic Forrest said...

Frisky - Here are a few links to my favorites:

1. On young people - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzykot3i6rU&feature=related

2. York Model Railway Station -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hP7Di7te5yM&feature=related

3. Catholic vs. Protestant - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0thRUS1wUw&feature=related

You will never hear the Lord's Prayer again without thinking of this cheeky devil. :-)