Monday, June 15, 2009

More library glee

A different bit of the State Library


Ooh, how exciting! Today I found out* that part of the State Library that's been closed for six years will throw open its dusty doors to the public during this year's Open Day in Melbourne.

The ornate Queen's Hall is the oldest part of the library and is said to be haunted by the ghost of a librarian and a small child. Shame the open day won't be held at night!

As you may know, I love the State Library so I'm keen to stick my nose behind its closed doors.


I'm also eager to have a look at the boardroom of the National Mutual building. It was on the program for last year's open day, but the crowds were huge and I didn't get my foot in the door. Better get there early this time.

Oh, for anyone else who is interested, the Hidden Gems Open Day is on July 19. There's a little bit about it in today's Age, but I haven't been able to find a dedicated website with more information.

* Thank you anonymous blog reader


Laneway art

The City of Melbourne's 2009 Laneways Commissions are on the brink of being unveiled. There will be five of them but I know not where and when at this stage.

This development is tinged with disappointment because two of my favourite laneway art commissions from previous years have recently been removed - the chandelier in Warburton Lane and As it Happens (below), the expanding and shrinking wall bulge in McKillop Street. I used to walk past and appreciate them most days and now they are gone. Sigh.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Note, ghost-hunter, camera girl:

Open buildings:

http://melbourneopenhouse.org.au/cms-about-us/about-us.phps

Unknown said...

I love the queens hall - if it's the one I'm thinking of, I spent a great many years of my youth studying in there - reading philosophical and theosophical texts ... ahh, memories. No ghosts though ... that I recall, anyhows!