Saturday, February 27, 2010

New York, here I come!

I'M GOING TO NEW YORK CITY!!!!!!!! *squeals*  I booked my flights yesterday. I'm flying out on 14 May and returning on 29 May. I got a really good deal too, which is a nice little sweetener.

I haven't mentioned this before here (I dont think...) because I dread the reaction it usually provokes, but for you to fully understand the gleefulness of this trip, it should be revealed: this will be the first time I have set foot outside Australia. No, really. It's not that I have never wanted to travel, it's just not been at the top of my list of priorities for one reason or another. But I decided I was going to do it before I hit 40, and I am.

So, it's a big deal in more ways than one. And I'm doing it on my own! I can't deny that I'm a little daunted at doing it alone, but I'm also looking forward to it. I know I won't regret it one bit and it'll do me good to push myself outside my comfort zone -  personal growth blah, blah, blah.

Now I just need to work out what I'm doing while I'm there... Of course, I've already decided to visit the libary!

Speaking of doing things on my own, I went to see The White Stripes music doco Under Great White Northern Lights last night on my own and I didn't even feel like a friendless loser. There couldn't have been more than 20 people in the whole cinema and I think I was the only one flying solo, but it didnt bother me. Go, me.

There were only three people in the cinema when I walked in. I made my way to my allocated seat and it was right next to a not unattractive man all on his own too. I left a seat between us (not like it was sold out) and we had a chuckle and a quick chat...and then his girl friend showed up. Dang. Then another lone guy sat a seat away on the other side of me...and then his girlfriend showed up. Story of my life....

Anyhoo, the movie was great, not perfect, but certainly visually and aurally pleasing. It follows the band on a tour taking in every province in Canada to mark their 10th anniversary. They played gigs in small towns in a range of unlikely places, including a bowling alley and a pool hall, and also did a string of impromptu free performances, like the one on a bus where they had the passengers singing along to The Wheels on the Bus Go Round and Round

There was lots of grainy black and white footage, both on stage and off. I love grainy monochrome pictures. The best was the film shot at Iqaluit, waaaaaaaay up in the far north of Canada, where Meg and Jack went for a wander against a backdrop of stark and desolate scenery, including the beach and a cemetery with rows of white wooden crosses. Beautiful.

This is macabre, but I really like cemetries - to look at, I mean. When I was watching Meg and Jack at the cemetery I thought, "Hmmm...maybe I could visit the cemetery in New York...." Yep, I've googled New York cemeteries. Am I strange?

The final scene in the doco was the most powerful - Meg and Jack sitting at a piano as he played and sang White Moon. About half way through, tears rolled down Megs cheeks. Meg is so painfully shy and hardly speaks during the doco which makes the scene so much more affecting.

Oh, and Jack White....I could watch that man all day long.

Here's a bit of the Iquluit footage (wouldn't fit properly, dammit - click on it to view on YouTube).


10 comments:

a work in progress said...

I am soooo excited for you about your holiday!!!! woooooooohooooooooo! can't wait to see all the pics you take!

i TOTALLY get the cemetary thing too. they are so peaceful and serene i think. last time i was in paris i made my friend Greg drive me around the city looking at cemetaries. at first he was grumbly but then he really got into it too hahahaha.

yay for holidays!!! :)

Dee said...

Yay. Did you finally get your passport sorted? I am so excited for you. New York is amazing. I went alone and LOVED it!

I'm a bit of a cemetery freak too, but I don't tell many people about that. I always wanted to go to Paris and check out the catacombs.

Dee

Jayne said...

Hey awip. I can't wait to take lots of pics!

Im glad it's not just me with the cemetery thing. Actually, I haven't even been to the Melbourne General Cemetery where there are lots of notable people buried (possibly including one of my rellies who was a legal big wig). Might do that on the long weekend in a few weeks. Not that the famous dead people angle is why I like cemeteries though.

This will be my first proper holiday in a long time that doesn't involve visiting relatives.

Hi Ozziepossum. Passport application is still pending. I've applied for a new copy of my birth certificate (which is in NSW) so that I can fill in the registration of Change of Name, and THEN I can apply for my passport. I've got plenty of time up my sleeve thankfully.

Another cemetery fan. Good. I suppose cemeteries are slices of history, so it's not so odd to enjoy visiting them.

Katrina Fries said...

Yay for a trip to New York! I'd love to get over to the east coast some time myself. New York is definitely a place I'd like to see. Wish we had the funds to fly over there while you're on this continent and say hello.

a-non-y-mouse said...

This is great news. I've been told that everybody needs to visit New York at least once (I haven't). The most memorable experiences on any trip are the people you meet, and travelling companions tend to shield you from the locals, so you're primed to see it big and bright.

Abbeysmum said...

Just been reading a Vogue Living from late last year and it had a few paged on something called "the High Line" a disused freight rail track in the old meat packers district that is 3 stories up in the air, it looked awesome ! you might find some info if you google it or try the local library for the issue of Nov.2009. It was marked for demolition when some of the locals noticed it was covered in wildflowers and campaigned to save it.

Kellyansapansa said...

You will absolutely love New York - it is one of my favourite cities in the whole world.

There's a really cool hop on/hop off bus service you can use to see the main tourist things, which saves a lot of time trying to work out bus timetables, etc.

Earl Riser said...

Hey, Ms Frisky, been awhile since I visited your page.
Trip to New York, thats fantastic!!!!!
I know you will LOVE it!!
Great for a first choice, miles further than crossing the ditch, like I did. LOL.

Mandy said...

Oh, wow... I cannot wait to see your photos of NYC!!
Have fun - you couldn;t have picked a better place to go on your first overseas trip.

Dina Roberts said...

I hope you have a wonderful time in NYC.

I LOVE it there. We haven't been back in a long time : (

I can't wait to see your holiday photos!