Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The new beginning begins

I've been in my new job two days and while I'm not sure yet if I'm going to like it enough to want to stay, the change in my demeanour since leaving my old job is remarkable. I feel so much...lighter. The change in routine and new challenge are working wonders. It's so good to be out of the rut and feeling motivated.

The people at the new firm are very nice and it seems a great place to work, it's just the job itself I'm still uncertain about, but I want to like it. There's Tim Tams on Fridays! A lolly jar in the kitchen! Weekly morning teas! Tim Tams on Fridays! (Hmmmm, there seems to be a pattern here...)

While I was told by the agency my hours were 8.30 to 5.00, I've since been informed it's up to me whether I start then or at 9.00. My initial reaction was "Yay, an extra 30 minutes in bed!" but then I thought, "Hmm, I do like finishing half an hour earlier....I'll stick with it!" Yes, I'm choosing to be out of the house in the morning more than an hour earlier than I used to get out of bed in my old job. 

Although I don't like getting up early (nothing to do with winter - my flat is always warm), I do enjoy it once I wake up. I've been rising just before the sun and I love that warm orange light streaming in my windows and the hot air balloons floating past. Very peaceful. (My enthusiasm might wane after a week of early starts, however...)

I went to the gym after work tonight and felt great afterwards. I've done about 2.5 hours of exercise today (including 1.5 hours of walking) and I feel good, in a slightly weary way.  

I arrived home to find a card in the mailbox telling me I have an item to collect from the post office. Yay. It's my copy of Peter, Paul & Mary In Concert.

2 comments:

dam buster said...

Happy times!

You have to give the new job a few weeks to work out what the work involves. The actual workplace sounds like it is nivolving and interesting so that is half the battle.

Jayne said...

Wow, what a huge transformation you've had!
Good on you :)