Sunday, January 30, 2011

List nerdery, inner child and cute robots

Swooshy clouds yesterday

I spent all afternoon today hiding from the heat and completing a job that has been on my to-do list for months: reviewing and revising my list of 101 Things to Do Before I'm 40 (which is 525 days away. Eep.)

Yes, I've reached the point of listoholism where my to-do list includes updating my lists. Goodness. I'm so glad I've finished it though, because I hate having tasks on a list that keep getting carried over and over and over. Often that's a sign that the thing probably isn't worth doing and should be struck off the list, but not this task. 

It's been over two years since I started my 101/40 list and although my dedication to it waxes and wanes, I think it has enhanced my life and I enjoy doing it. I only put off the review/revision for so long because I knew it would be time consuming and I am rather lazy (despite perhaps appearing otherwise merely by having such a list). 

I decided to update the list because my priorities and interests have changed since I started it, and my commitment to quite a few of the initial goals on the list had diminished or disappeared altogether.  I'm hoping the overhaul will renew my motivation for it.

Today's review and revision also gave me a clear picture of what I've achieved.  I've crossed 28 things off the list so far, which doesn't seem like much progress in two years, but I have crossed off the number one thing, which was to take my first overseas trip. And, in any case,  (cliche alert) it's about the journey, not the destination. It's about making life more meaningful and fun; not about robotically achieving and crossing off goals (as much as I love the crossing off bit).

I should also add that many of the goals are ongoing - for example buying myself flowers or getting a massage once a month - so I'm going have a crossing off frenzy on 9 July 2012!

Indulging my inner child. Yet again

I bought myself some coloured pens. Pink, purple and blue ones. Yes, the back-to-school display at the supermarket got to me again. I didn't need them;  I just wanted them.

I also bought some wee robots from etsy.com. Is this not the cutest robot ever? Completely frivolous, but adorable (perfectly summed up in the shop's slogan: Things U never knew you needed until today). I can't wait for them to arrive. 

2 comments:

DiscoveredJoys said...

From the Happiness Project:

"Nothing [is] so fatiguing as the eternal hanging on of an uncompleted task."
--William James

Jayne said...

I know!!! I saw it today and had a chuckle at the uncanny timing. I was even going to mention it on today's blog - I do so enjoy those little coincidences!