Monday, February 28, 2011

A day at the beach


I took advantage of yesterday's gloomy weather to go to South Melbourne beach. No, not for a swim; to take photos and explore another part of Melbourne that I'm not overly familiar with. I love the beach on grey days.

I walked along the beach front from Kerford Road Pier to Station Pier and then wandered through the streets back to the city. Development along the waterfront is predictably samey and charmless, but the old terrace houses and the Clarendon Street shopping strip are quite lovely.



There were lots of shells on the beach, some of them even whole. I saw a live jelly fish in the water and lots of jellyfish washed up on the sand too. I love poking about on the beach to see what I can see (and in rock pools).




Unusual multi-lingual toilet signage, no doubt due to nearby Station Pier being the  former port of entry for migrants arriving by ship


A plaque in the concrete at the base of a park bench near Station Pier

No comments: