Sunday, August 21, 2011

The world and Jayne: a love story


The rail brige over Johnston Street...a portent of glee?

This might sound strange and arrogant, but today it felt like the world was in love with me. Everywhere I turned, there were awesome things that made me smile. It's like the world  was trying to make me happy. Damn fine job, world. Lucky - I wouldn't  want to disappoint the world.

I was up early again and as it was such a lovely day I decided to walk to Collingwood to meet Marian. I was worried I wouldn't make the 6.4 kms in the hour I allowed myself, but I got there in 45 minutes. Thank you, legs; thank you feet.

We wandered to the Abbotsford Convent and browsed the indoor and outdoor stalls of handmade arts, crafts and clothing at the market. We saw many nice things - jewellery, skirts, soaps that look like cupcakes (though we were a little let down when we realised they weren't actual cupcakes), T-shirts, and a sausage dog puppy that had gathered a gaggle of gushing girls about it (Wooh! Alliteration!). The sausage dog wasn't for sale.



We strolled around the buildings and grounds. It's a fantastic place with a slightly eerie atmosphere about it in parts, particularly where there's no people. Some buildings are still vacant and in a state of disrepair. We found an open door and poked about inside, which felt a bit naughty. It's still being developed and there's loads of potential there. It's going to be AMAZING.

I showed Marian this old building which I love, and she liked it a lot too.




We found this old thing which looks like a petrol pump. Maybe the nuns pumped their own fuel?



And this awesome tree, which, devoid of leaves, perfectly matches the eerie atmosphere (as did the crow call we heard).


The possum guard detracts from the gothic air a little.

We then headed to Lentil as Anything, a vegetarian eatery onsite staffed by volunteers where nothing has a set price - you just leave however much money you want to give in a box on the way out. I had tasty pancakes for second breakfast.

Lentil as Anything still life

When we were on the train back into town, we sat near a boy about six playing chess with his mother. I'm not sure if he was very good at it or whether they were just playing at playing and she was letting him win. He said "check" a lot and went on to win the game. I'm sure I heard him say to his mother, "You lose, sucker"! (Old person comment coming up) It's nice to see a kid playing an old fashioned game on the train instead of having their eyes glued to a DS screen or whatever.

Marian and I parted ways in the city. I went to Target to get some more photos printed for my collage. I bought (I bought, I bought, I bought!) a book on origami. Another project! I've been thinking about having a go at it after seeing cool origami things on Etsy.  It seems I'm good at ideas and getting the materials for projects, but less good at actually completing things... I have to stop getting inspired and going to art and craft stores...but...but...

I was at Lincraft yet again today and I finally found some square frames that are big enough for the art cards I want to display. And they were super cheap!

I also rearranged their paper mache letters again, to something less profane this time.



On my way to Lincraft, I saw this on one of those pillars that people usually tack gig posters to:



No, lovely person, thank YOU.  And then I had a hot chocolate at Muffin Break. Look what was at the bottom of my mug! How adorable is that?



When I was waiting for my tram home tonight at Flinders Street, the Yarra Trams staffer was very entertaining. As the City Circle tram approached he said, "Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, boys and. girls. Lend me your ears...All you've gotta do is smile and board the tram.  It's free."  And then: "The tram is now departing. Stand clear please. Goodbye!" After I got on my tram and sat down, he motioned others to the door and said, "Good looking people use this door"! Hahaha. What a legend. (Why, yes. I did use that door.)

Walking home in thh golden late afternoon sun I saw guys in the park kicking the football and throwing a frisbee.

 Frisbee at top left.

I like to think these bikes are having a chat as they lie in the warm sun

 I am in love with Curly Girl Designs (the site itself is cute too. Run your cursor over the camera). My favourite of her cards reads: "I just don't like to see you waste your time on silly things," he said. "Well, then," she said, "Close your eyes." Ha. 

I think I'm going to fall in love with Pinterest, which Marian told me about today.

OK, I'm going to get off my laptop and actually work on a project. More action, less blog.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!
Sounds like you had a really happy day.
I love finding picture sat the bottom of mugs.
I actually have a question for you, an invitation to a writing project, if you're interested... but i couldn't find an email account?
i guess if this doesn't get spam-deleted, you'll know where to find me :)

Anonymous said...

What a great day. The Bois and Charbons was painted as part of a movie set and I would guess the petrol pump was part of the set too. Similar looking individual letters were on sale on the St Kilda
Esplanade today for a bit over three dollars each I think. Hope you got a bargain. You had a much better experience than we did at Lentil.

Jayne said...

Hello Kazari. You have mail!

Hi Andrew. Don't tell me that! I thought the old sign was real! Never mind, I still love it.

I was sure the the petrol pump wasn't there when I last visited earlier this year, so you could be right about that.

I didn't buy any letters. I just interfered with them on the shelves to take a photo and then put them back. I think Lincraft's were more expensive so if I ever do want to buy some, I know where to go.

I guess a place with volunteer and inexperienced staff is likely to be a bit dodgy in some ways. We waited a long time for our meals to arrive even tbough it wasn't very busy. Plus the stewed fruit in my pancakes was a little under-stewed, but it was still nice.

Marian Schembari said...

I totally felt that way on Sunday too! Maybe it was the pleasure of your company ;-)

That and the sunshine. I walked along the Yarra for a whopping 3 hours after our day-date. I smiled at strangers riding bicycles with baskets on them. I might as well have been skipping.