Tuesday, May 8, 2012

New toy, golden, pixie tuffets



I bought myself a new toy last night - a mini sewing machine, which is designed for beginners. I still class myself as beginner because it's been a looooong time since I learnt to use a sewing machine at school, and the couple of sewing classes I did two years ago weren't enough to advance my rudimentary skills. 

I bought the mini machine because I have a few small projects that will (hopefully) turn out better sewn by machine, not by hand. I didn't want to spend more on a full size machine in case the novelty wears off quickly and it ends up in a cupboard gathering dust. 

If it turns out I'm not completely inept, I might upgrade to a full size machine in time. I'd love to be able to make my own clothes, probably due to spending too much time browsing Etsy and crafty blogs, but also because I often struggle to find things I like in the shops. I like the idea of sitting on a stool at Lincraft or Spotlight, leafing through all the pattern books, choosing my own colour combinations and producing a one-of-a-kind garment. I bet it's also a great feeling when someone asks where you got your skirt and you can say, "I made it myself", then bask in the glow of their admiration.  

Hopefully my enthusiasm doesn't grossly outweigh my talents. I will also need to overcome my habit of buying all the requisite bits and bobs for a project and then not actually sitting down to start the project. 

It was a lovely mild autumn day in Melbourne today, with another gorgeous golden glow lighting up the city in the late afternoon.

Check out these photos of Tasmanian fungii. I love the red ones with white spots - they're like tuffets for pixies. My mum saw some of these when she visited Tasmania a few years ago but we were there at the wrong time of year. 

No comments: