Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday in the gardens

After taking care of mundane domestic stuff this morning, I took a book over to the Botanic Gardens for a leisurely afternoon of reading in a shady spot. The day was perfect day for it - sunny and warm with a light breeze. 

Before I found my shady spot, I wandered about taking some photos.

The eels are much easier to see now the algae has cleared


 The Lamb's Ears are very velvety 


 Bees were busy going about their business


The ducks were on the outer


These are called feather heads


Hairy


 Hellebore pod


Strange flower growing in the herb garden


 A moth on a pincushion flower 


 Poppy


 Poppy pod


Twins


Hairy II


Looking towards the city

I finished reading The Book of (Even More) Awesome. To be honest, I found it less awesome and way more hokey than the first book. Maybe the first was hokey as well, but I read it during a very difficult time in my life, so perhaps I found the hokeyness less irritating. 

I still did relate to many of the awesome things, such as: 
When you went to the gym yesterday and now you can take a break. 
When you sneeze and a stranger says bless you. (That happened to me just yesterday.)
When you reunite a sock from the Sock Orphan Drawer with its freshly washed partner. 
Most of all though, I relate to the author's own story. Neil Pasricha started his 1000 Awesome Things blog during a rough patch in his life (as did I with this blog) and the difference it made to his life exceeded his expectations. The same goes for me with this blog. After a while, finding life's little gleeful/awesome things just happens without you even having to think about it.  Somehow it actually enhances your appreciation of small stuff that you never cared much about before - if you even noticed it. 


While I'm getting all quotey on you, the other day I read a quote from Cheryl Strayed (aka Sugar, the advice columnist at The Rumpus)  which really resonated with me. 
We can survive anything, even if we don’t want to. Even in the face of great suffering, there is joy.
Yup. Life is not meant to be easy....but it can also be delightful. (You can read Gretchin Rubin's full interview with Cheryl here.)


But back to my day... 

I took a back-up book with me to the gardens - Marian Keyes' new novel The Mystery of Mercy Close. I didn't know she had a new book out and bought it on the spot when I happened upon it by surprise last weekend. I love it when that happens. Anticipating the release of a favourite writer's new book is great too....speaking of which, I still haven't bought The Horologicon! I must remedy that soon. Tomorrow perhaps. 

No comments: