Sunday, April 7, 2013

Good Friday - Part II (better late than never)

Yes, I know it's now been more than a week since Good Friday. I'd better crack on with Part II of my Easter blog post before I forget what we did. Lucky I have photos.

After Daylesford, we continued on to Bendigo to visit my friend and my two 'nephews' who moved there late last year. I hadn't seen the boys for aaaages. The eldest started school this year and the youngest is three. They're gorgeous, funny little boys. Luke kept them entertained kicking and throwing balls around their big back yard while Deliea and I sat and had a natter. 

We headed off around 4.00pm for a wander around the centre of town before the light started to fade (so I could take photos of ghost signs, of course). I hadn't been to Bendigo in more than 10 years, and I didn't see much of the place then, so I was essentially visiting for the first time. I liked it a lot. 

Bendigo is the fourth largest city in Victoria (with a population of 82,000 to 100,000...make up your mind, internet) and is yet another city that boomed during the gold rush of the 1850s. It has glorious Victorian architecture - its civic buildings are as beautiful as Melbourne's - and Rosalind Park on the edge of the CBD is lovely. 

 The view from the Poppet Head lookout in Rosalind Park 
 
There was a very large petting zoo in the gardens which had a funny little brown piglet trotting about hapharzardly with his snout to the ground. It barely stood still long enough for me to take a photo.



 The imposing Sacred Heart Cathedral


A closer look


Even closer


 Part of the impressive Alexander Fountain


 Shamrock Hotel


 Detail of a lamp post in front of the court house


 On the facade of the court house. I think
 they liked their buildings to have fierce 
creatures on them


Look at this evil little fella!


Here be dragons! Chinese dragons, actually. A lot of Chinese 
came to Victoria to strike it rich in the gold rush of the 1850s



The Easter bunny came early to Hargreaves Mall...
or maybe the goose laid these


 The golden hour


  One of the very handsome park benches in Rosalind Park


Buzzzzz


Raaaark


Camp Hill Primary School

Camp Hill Primary School, as the name suggests, is high the hill overlooking and adjoining Rosalind Park, and Bendigo Secondary College is right beside it.  What a lovely setting for a school. 

 Lake Weeroona


Aaargh! My head!

No comments: