Sunday, June 16, 2013

Making stock and invincible summer

I made  lemon chicken soup for dinner tonight...well, actually I started making it last weekend when I made the stock, which involved roasting a lot of chicken bits and pieces, frying vegies and hours of simmering, and took most of a day to make. The soup was nice and it's gratifying knowing I made the whole thing from scratch, but I'm not in a rush to make the stock again. Thankfully I have enough in the freezer for one or two more lots of soup. (I used rice in the soup, rather than orzo  pasta, to make it gluten free.)

I also made bread to go with the soup...or what the recipe calls bread, but it's really more like damper. You couldn't make sandwiches out of it, but it went well with the soup, and it was quick and easy to make. It's FODMAP- friendly bread because I'm doing the FODMAP diet again to work out the triggers for my food intolerance symptoms. The FODMAP diet is pretty easy, but eventually - probably in a few weeks - I'll have to make YET ANOTHER attempt at completing that confounded full elimination diet. At least I'll be able to use the bread recipe above when the time comes.

I blogged this quote I found on Pinterest a while ago:
Once in the midst of a seemingly endless winter, I found within myself an invincible spring.
I like the quote, but I've recently discovered it's probably a tweaking of this quote from Albert Camus:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.
This is from Camus' The Stranger. The full quote is:
In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer. And that makes me happy. For it says that no matter how hard the world pushes against me, within me, there’s something stronger – something better, pushing right back.
I like this a lot more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hours of simmering is always good.

Lindy said...

I love the quote. I wrote it in a book of things I like when I was a teenager and I have never forgotten it. I have often quoted it to myself when things haven't always gone right. I was delighted to see it written on a footpath blackboard in a little town where we stopped for coffee (can't remember the name) in New Zealand a few years ago.