Thursday, November 7, 2013

Day 7: The excitement of uncertainty

There's going to be major changes at my work early in the new year.  I won't go into detail because there hasn't been an official announcement yet and it's still meant to be very secret squirrel. I don't think I've mentioned where I work, but I'll err on the side of caution and button my lip for now. 

In any case, these changes mean there is some uncertainty in my future. I find the uncertainty bothersome* because it's not that long since I've started to feel really settled into the job, but it also has some appeal. It's a little bit exciting not knowing for sure where I will be this time next year. Imagining possibilities, thinking about opportunities is more interesting than thinking about the status quo (except when I think about the possibility of being unemployed for an extended period).  

My ambivalence about the uncertainty ahead reminds me of this poem (or verse from?) The Blooming of Madness:


* I enjoy using the word 'bothersome'. 

2 comments:

Deidre said...

Well, I certainly hope it does lead to excessive unemployment. But a little shake up, can be good? Maybe?

DiscoveredJoys said...

When I took Early Retirement it took me months and months to find my balance. Partly it was the joy of no longer having to work 'for the man' but also it was partly grief for losing the daily purpose of being employed and the chat with my colleagues. I eventually realised I had also been grieving for the loss of the future possibilities I had closed off by retiring. A strange mix of feelings.

I'm feeling great now that the grieving process is done.