Monday, March 16, 2015

The joy of flowers, a new book

I bought flowers for a friend this morning. I chose the blooms myself  - a combination of orange roses with a deep pink blush that reminded me of peaches, a purple flower whose name I can't recall and white lisianthus. She loved them.  Her mum died two weeks ago (today was her first day back), so it made me happy to put a smile on her face. 

While I was at the florist shop, I spotted two varieties of flower I'd never seen before - swan flowers (more like scrotum flowers, if you ask me) and white bouvardia buds, which were tiny little white boxes on stems. 



I bought a new book today - The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - and the woman who served me said she loved it, which pleased me. It's quite a departure from my usual reading diet and I confess it was the images associated with it on Pinterest that piqued my interest.  This is probably less tenuous than the time I bought a book solely because it had the word 'fuck' on the back cover. That was Zigzag Street, the first ever Nick Earls' novel I read, which started a love affair with his writing.  

I'm about to head off to bed to start reading The Night Circus now. 


No comments: